24 October 2012

OXFORD CERAMICS FAIR

Next weekend, 27 -28 October, I'm exhibiting new work at the Oxford Ceramics Fair, organised by the Craft Potters Association.  Here's the sort of thing I'm showing.




I tend to simpler and simpler colour schemes - you'll notice how many pieces are decorated only in blue - and I create interest by contrasting shapes or  areas of light and dark on the painted surface. To achieve my effects and to add texture, I use wax resist and sgraffito. I like the way the oxides bead over the wax and then run in the firing.  The correct brush is essential if the arabesques (left) are to work.  There has to be some contrast between thick and thin strokes, but not too much.  For these lines, I use a long, round ox-hair brush with a square end.

I know this sounds terribly formalist, but the truth is, there aren't any big ideas behind my work and it's not even inspired by nature. I'm simply trying to solve the aesthetic and technical problems that arise while I'm making things. I got into trouble for this when I was a student and concluded that I was too happy to be an artist.

Anyway, if you can get to Oxford, I hope you like my work.

Subscribe to my newsletter

No comments :