29 May 2017

THE ROSES OF THE GARDEN

Old roses

Now the roses are coming into bloom after a cold, dry Spring and I'll try to get to the Gardens of the Rose before they close. All I've been able to find out from the local paper is that the Royal National Rose Society has been put into administration, and I suppose the administrators will soon have to decide whether they can make more money by closing the gardens or letting them stay open.

I live in a 1950s house and I was tempted to make a period garden with a square lawn bordered by modern roses, alternate red and yellow, like "Peace" and "Papa Meilland". In the end I went for informal varieties, like "Nevada", "Albertine" and "Rambling Rector".

New rose "Peace" (1935)
New rose "Papa Meilland" (1963)

Although "informal" means "inclined to shed petals", the old roses do look good as cut flowers, especially in a celadon vase (top of post).


No comments :